I just recently finished reading a book called Angels and Demons, by Dan Brown. It was an amazing book and I would recommend it to anyone who can appreciate an educational fiction novel. It opened up my mind to a lot of ideas. New ways of thinking. It sort of built off of some thoughts I was already having. I've never been the kind of person to believe everything I hear. Actually, I hardly ever believe anything I hear. Especially when it comes to God.
Don't get me wrong, I believe in and love God with every fiber of my being. But I never want to be a brainwashed believer. I know God created this universe using Gods own master plan. God made each and every one of us just exactly the way God wanted to. That, I have no doubt about. It's something I could never deny. But I become troubled when I get to the Bible and Jesus.
Gods power and being is unfathomable. To think that we, as humans could ever understand him, is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. Our minds are so limited and miniscule. To say that you understand God is to undermine the very essence of Gods existence.
The first step to love is fear? I disagree. I love God because of the beauty and perfection of its being. I don't need eternal damnation to motivate me to love my God. The church however, survives on the sole idea of hell. Fear is not the first step to love. Fear is the first step to getting you to blindly follow the church. And I'm not bashing a certain religion here, all religions thrive off of fear.
Its human nature to ignore something until it becomes beneficial to you. Religion would not exist today unless it promised eternal paradise for good deeds, and damnation in hell for not following the religion.
The Holy Bible. Supposedly the word of God. Written completely by man. Is this not setting limits on God? Is this not putting a face on a God that has no gender, no race, no end? Am I supposed to believe and follow a book that was written by men that lived hundreds of years ago. Is that what faith is supposed to be?
I always wonder if this pleases God or angers God. Are humans so desperate for deeper meaning and purpose in life that they have to create religion? The one thing that has divided this world from the very beginning of its existence.
Maybe I'm going looney, or thinking too much.
But if these thoughts have any truth to them, then
God help us all.
1 comment:
say what you want but please dont claim the church survives of off hell. That is just untrue for all the churches I have been a member of, and honestly, a little offensive.
Though there are churches like that, I can tell you that those who truly love God do not.
You say God's power is unfathomable. This is very true. But how do you know this? You are just assuming you know this about Him. You say you love Him. Why? What's the point of loving a far off distant god?
The funny thing is when people say that God cannot be understood. That means you understand God by denying his understandability. You understand what he is to you in your mind, and we can go and live our lives. Of course God is never fully understandable to mankind.
If you can't understand anything about him, there is no way that you can understand that he is perfect.
What seperates Christianity from other religions is hell.
Mormons, Jews, Buddhist, Hindus, Rastas, Zoroastrians...none of these religions believe in Hell.
The religion that says good deeds gets you to heaven is Mormonism and Islam.
A relationship with Christ is what gets a Christian to heaven. We are saved by grace through faith. And our love for God is shown through our works.
We dont just wake up every morning and go through the rituals of good deeds. What good is a deed if my heart is not in it? Its worthless.
Faith without works is dead, because Faith and Works are intertwined on many different levels. The faith we have guides us and urges us to do good works, to show the love of God.
Believe me, There is a difference between the religion of Christianity that you talk about (because it truly does exist), and the relationship with Christ that is open to all humans.
The religion of Christianity is the legalistic society in which people do thinks solely for earthly values, for power, or money. this would all be bullshit.
The relationship we can have with God is sooo much deeper than this. This is real. Dont tell me it isnt. I have had many experiences with God to know this is real.
The word of God is difficult to grasp. Yeah, it was written fully by man. But I believe these men were anointed in the Spirit of God when they wrote this.
Take a look at the Bible in a big picture. What does it teach? one word: Love.
Christ says the 2 most important commandments are to love God and to love your neighbor. Great, but what about everything else?
Well if we love God and people, then we need NOTHING else. We will treat everyone how God treats us.
I dont understand how it sets limits on God, either.
If we both can agree on an unchanging God, we therefore see He has set limits on himself by pure reason.
God is Unchanging. I cant understand why an almighty and perfect being would change in the first place. If he is perfect, then he KNOWS the will he has in plan for mankind and the universe. If he changes his will, then his previous will was obviously NOT perfect, resulting in an imperfect God.
So if God is an unchanging God, there are things God cannot do. Yes, he is omnipotent, but how/why would he violate his own nature?
The Bible sets no limits on God in itself. The Bible is believed to be God's plan for the world. He wanted it here. He gave it to us.
The faith you lean to, Deism, is also a religion. It has been around for hundreds of years, and you believe it because it makes sense to you. Just because deism has no written book doesnt make it really any less of a religion than Christianity. It is an opinion formed by man.
just my opinion :)
Post a Comment